Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day Thangles


I've been at my sewing machine this Election Day. I voted absentee last week; made my contributions; put up signs.

I'm keeping up with Twitter today, doing my Proposal 3 support for renewable energy. I've said my prayers and will say them again.

I guess I'm like a lot of people today, wondering if I could have done more to help get out the word and get out the vote. Like all things that we believe in, we always wish we could have done more.

So, I'm sewing Thangles for a big block quilt that is a big deal. I'm working on 100 little blocks that will go together to make 25 big blocks. Each little block requires that I make four Thangles. Doing the arithmetic means that I will be sewing 400 Thangles (and maybe more) before this quilt is done.

And, as I sew, I'm hoping for a good election -- one that gives us stability and continuity. One that turns the corners that are necessary, but stays the course where we need it. Like my big block quilt, there are a lot of little pieces coming together today.

And tomorrow, there will be more blocks to sew, more pieces to figure out. Seems like quilting and democracy have a lot in common.

Anyway, that's what I think today.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

1 comment: