Saturday, August 13, 2011

Corn Turbine


I like the symbolism of this photo -- a wind turbine rising from a corn field. When I stop for gas at the Clark station in Elkton some pumps have five nozzles. Three are for various combinations of gas and ethanol, including E-85.

Some people oppose wind energy. Some are sure that ethanol is bad. Early on, I was unsure of all the windmill development in our county. Lots of deals were struck with farm families around restaurant tables with guys talking hush-hush. Now that the first two wind farms are up and running, a lot more information is available to the general public.

Have there been problems? Sure. I bet our grandparents could tell us lots of stories about stringing electric wires out into the countryside too. Anytime there are changes in how we power our comunities, there will be dissension. Adjustments get made. We learn more about the good and the bad. We change our ideas, our policies, our arguments.

I learned some years ago that I function better if I can be for something rather than against things. Being on the opposing side and always a no vote is not a position that I relish. Maybe, in my advancing years, I've come to see myself as a non-contrarian. I'll bet that those around me will tell me that I'm often contrary. Ah, such is life.

Anyway, today's post celebrates change. Here in Huron County a windmill rising from a tasseled cornfield looks to the future. This summer, with all the economic turmoil, the corn keeps growing and the wind turbines keep turning. That's okay.

More posts about windmills:


Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler



No comments:

Post a Comment