Tuesday, August 13, 2013

August Golf at Bird Creek


A cool wind coming down off of Lake Huron brought thoughts of fall to my golf game tonight. Every once in a while I have a chance to play nine holes by myself. Tonight was one of those "walk-with-my-Bag-Boy-cart-and-think" times of playing golf.

Shafts of the setting sun lit up Bird Creek's fairways and greens with bright green bands of magical light. I scared up a doe with her twin fawns, all three of them shining rusty red in the low slanted sunbeams, out on Number Three.  A great blue heron chose to ignore me and my cellphone camera. He was too busy looking for frogs in the pond on the Number Two fairway.

I had pulled a quarter zip long sleeve pullover on over my golf shirt when I left home. Then I added another fleece. By the time I rounded the back of the course, heading into Number Five, I was ready to shed the fleece. But then the wind picked up off the lake and the night breeze got cooler.

My drives off the tee boxes were good, but I had way too many putts. Maybe I can blame a poor score on the cool weather, a strong wind, a beautiful evening, the camera in my pocket, my critter friends, and a golf course that just takes your breath away with its natural beauty on an August summer evening.

Copyright 2013
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment